When we hear about a heart attack, a vivid image comes to mind where the victim cries out in agony while they clutch their chest and left arm before collapsing to the ground. Did you know that, in many cases, a heart attack looks nothing like this? In fact, the victim of a heart attack often does not even know that they’re having one, especially in women. (more…)
- Approximately 715,000 heart attacks occur in the United States every year.
- Heart attacks are a leading cause of death for Americans.
- More than 350,000 cardiac arrests occur outside of a hospital setting each year in the United States.
- More than 70% of these happen at home, making it critical that people are educated and prepared in case a loved one goes into cardiac arrest.
- About 90% of people who had an out-of-hospital cardiac arrest will die; however, their chances of survival can double or triple if they receive help within the first few minutes of an attack.