When emergencies occur, responders must act within the shortest time possible to save lives. On such occasions, only skilled persons are likely to take action. A responder needs to assess the victim’s state very fast and come up with the most appropriate first aid procedure. There are different first aid procedures used in addressing different health problems and common medical emergencies like:
- Cardiac Arrest
- Accident Bleeding
- Nose bleeding
- Insect stings
- Animal bites
First Aid Should be Given:
- To preserve/sustain life: A lot of lives are saved through first aid procedures every day. Some emergencies, such as heart attacks, are life-threatening. If victims are not attended to within a given time, they can lose their lives. The same applies to other conditions such as choking, severe bleeding, and snake bites, among others. The availability of a first aid skilled person makes all the difference wherever life-threatening emergencies occur.
It is, therefore, crucial that everyone is trained on first aid procedures. You might be the only one around to save the life of a loved one. Many people die of situations that could have otherwise been taken care of through proper first aid care.
- To prevent the situation from worsening: First aid procedures are aimed at containing and managing the damage. When first aid is not given, or the appropriate procedures are not followed, the victim more damage might result.
For instance, in burns, good quality first aid will ensure the wounds heal with less significant scars. For victims of severe bleeding, first aid’s unavailability can lead to excessive loss of blood, shock, or death. The same applies to cardiac arrest victims, whereby the victim might suffer permanent brain damage or death when CPR is not offered in a good time.
- To relieve pain and provides comfort for the victim: Some injuries are very painful. Prolonged pain can affect the victims physically and psychologically. In cases of burns and fractures, first aid procedures ensure the reduction of pain to the victim and relieve any form of discomfort as much as possible. Some first aid cases might require painkillers’ administration to make the victim more comfortable by reducing pain and suffering.
- To provide reassurance: Health emergencies result in panic in the victim and loved ones. Panicking in the victim and loved ones can lead to other complications that might grave the already difficult situation such as cardiac arrest and hypertension. First aid training courses offer skills and knowledge on keeping calm and calm the victim and those around.
When first aid is offered, the victim and close ones are less worried about the outcome and more hopeful for recovery.
- To promote recovery: Some injuries do not require further medical attention after first aid treatment. When first aid is offered, the victim takes less time to recover than when delayed. For burns and injuries, failure to offer first aid to the victim might lead to infections that deteriorate wounds taking long recovery periods.
All in all, first aid should be offered by knowledgeable people who have undergone the right training. Offering the wrong first aid to a victim during emergencies can make the situation worse. Offering first aid by skilled persons saves the victim many resources in terms of money and time.
- Ensure safety in transporting victims to the hospital: Through first aid treatment, the victim is more comfortable, especially those with injuries. It also helps in sustaining life before seeking specialized treatment. If the victim is not offered the required help in some emergency cases, they hardly make it to the hospital. These are cases of excessive bleeding, cardiac arrest, and choking, among others.
Victims of accidents such as those with back and neck injuries require special first aid procedures to ensure safety as they are moved to the hospital. While being transferred to the hospital, certain movements can lead to further injuries, which might complicate treatment and recovery. The first training course offers all the skills involved in relocating injured persons and making it appropriate to move an injured person.
Why You Should Be Trained on First Aid?
Everyone should be trained on first aid for the following reasons:
- First aid training has no age or educational limitations. They are open to persons of all ages with whichever educational background. With all the benefits offered attached to the skills, there is no reason why anyone wouldn’t want to take up the courses. The registration process is quite straightforward, and the course itself very affordable. Online first aid certifications are accessible anytime and from anywhere, and certification is instant. For persons with busy schedules, taking up online first aid classes are quite convenient.
- With first aid skills, you can assess a victim’s situation and offer the best advice and assistance. The ability to provide the most accurate diagnosis of the victim’s underlying problems is critical as it allows the rescuer to offer the best assistance. The pressure to act when emergencies occur can place unknowledgeable rescuers in difficult situations.
- First aid certification offers the holders the confidence to care for victims in case of emergencies. Sometimes when disasters occur, or a victim collapses or is injured, the bystanders are reluctant to touch the victim in fear of hurting them or worsening their current state and probably attracting lawsuits. First aid trained persons can make the most accurate assessment of the victim and providing the necessary help. If the victim is not attended to, emergency response services might take too long to arrive at the scene, and the victim might not survive.
- First aid courses offer skills in the causes and preventive measures of health emergencies. The information is useful to the individual in maintaining safety and preventing the occurrence of preventable health emergencies. When the skills and knowledge are put into practice, first aid trained persons can ensure their safety and the safety of those they love. Trainees also learn healthy practices and lead healthy lifestyles to reduce the risk of suffering from injuries and health conditions. Some health conditions are linked to lifestyle, such as some heart problems. Through healthy lifestyles such as proper nutrition and staying active, some of these illnesses can lead to healthier lifestyles.
- Your first aid certification could land you your next job. Employers are more likely to hire a first aid certified person. Your first aid certification could make the difference between you and the next person in a job interview. Some jobs, such as security guards, police officers, and lifeguards, require the person to hold first aid certification. Persons interested in these jobs will find it prudent to take up a first aid certification.
- The knowledge offered in the first aid training course is immense and applicable in other areas of life. In first aid classes, you get to learn different things that widen up your mind. You can apply the information in promoting your health and also educate those close to you.
- First aid training offers skills on personal safety. When offering first aid, the rescuer needs to safeguard against their health. First aid training offers safety skills in performing certain procedures that help keep oneself safe from cross infection when attending to victims. Some of the procedures involved in life-saving such as mouth to mouth resuscitation could lead to the transmission of illnesses. Injuries involving blood and body fluids from infected persons could also result in infections. As a rescuer, you will most often be involved in rescue missions with unknown victims whom you are not aware of their health status. The medical training offers skills on how to handle the victims while keeping yourself safe from the risk of infection.
Where Can You Get First Aid Certification?
First aid classes are available on different online platforms. You can take up online first aid classes on AHA recognized institutions such as the “CPR Select“. The courses are readily available upon registration. First aid courses are also available at the AHA and Red Cross, among others.
Emergency cases occur anywhere when least expected. When such happens to a loved one at home, you will be moved to the extremes to offer assistance. The only way you can be of maximum help is to be trained and aware of the right first aid skills applicable to that situation. Performing the wrong procedure might not be of any help and, in other cases, might create more health problems for the victim.
First aid training should never be ignored as they are a lifesaver. So many people are saved by strangers every day through first aid. Knowing that you can save someone’s life is self-fulfilling and helped another person see another day is also self-rewarding. The victim you save also looks at you as a hero. If you are trained for first aid, it is good to encourage your friends, family, and colleagues to take a similar step.
|Enroll Now for Online CPR/AED and First Aid Training and Certification at just $34.95.|